Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's Hard to Say Goodbye

I started to write this yesterday and had the hardest time. Today isn't any easier it's just I'm looking at it in a different light. Aunt Shirley was such a large prescence in our lives. Driving to work in the dark I thought about all the shopping trips to Milwaukee and Fireside that we went to. We always got up when it was dark and cold. The dark also reminded me of those wonderful nights at the cabins in front of the fire and walking back from Grumpy's. We had some of the best time together as a family playing in the dark. Then as the day got lighter I thought of the walks to her house where you were always welcome and she was happy to see you. We will never be able to make the popcorn balls, sauerkraut or the horseradish like she did. I thought about the times when she was so kind and giving. Because of her our families were close and we remain close. She was our organizer and informant. She kept everyone up to date. I will miss her dearly but so glad she doesn't need to be (as her son put it) strong and stubborn anymore.

No comments: